On September 20 and 21, I attended services at the church Sarah Palin belonged to since she was an adolescent, the Wasilla Assembly of God. Though Palin officially left the church in 2002, she is listed on its website as “a friend,” and spoke there as recently as June 8 of this year.
I went specifically to see a pastor visiting from Kiambu, Kenya named Thomas Muthee. Muthee gained fame within Pentecostal circles by claiming that he defeated a local witch, Mama Jane, in a great spiritual battle, thus liberating his town from sin and opening its people to the spirit of Jesus.
Muthee’s mounting stardom took him to Wasilla Assembly of God in May, 2005, where he prayed over Palin and called upon Jesus to propel her into the governor’s mansion — and beyond. Muthee also implored Jesus to protect Palin from “the spirit of witchcraft.” The video archive of that startling sermon was scrubbed from Wasilla Assembly of God’s website, but now it has reappeared.
The Youtube version is below (Palin appears after about 7:30):
Since Palin was nominated as vice president, Wasilla Assembly of God has taken a draconian line with reporters. The church now forbids members of the media from filming, taking notes, or bringing voice recorders to its services. I was able to record Muthee’s recent sermons only by deploying an array of tiny cameras and hidden microphones. Though the quality and comprehensiveness of my footage was severely compromised by the church’s closed door policy to the press, I was not going to be deterred.
By the end of the second day of Muthee’s sermons, the church had been tipped off about me, the liberal media member in its midst. An associate pastor told me he had received an email from an anonymous source warning him about me. When I tried to interview members of the congregation in the church parking lot, my questions were either met with silence or open hostility. I strongly suspect the McCain campaign has mobilized the Wasilla Assembly of God against perceived threats from the media.
But they hardly needed encouragement. On the first night of services, Muthee implored his audience to wage “spiritual warfare” against “the enemy.” As I filmed, a nervous church staffer approached from behind and told me to put my camera away. I acceded to his demand, but as Muthee urged the church to crush “the python spirit” of the unbeliever enemies by stomping on their necks, I pulled out a smaller camera and filmed from a more discreet position. Now, church members were in deep prayer, speaking in tongues and raising their hands. Muthee exclaimed, “We come against the spirit of witchcraft! We come against the python spirits!” Then, a local pastor took the mic from Muthee and added, “We stomp on the heads of the enemy!”
Behind the Christian right’s enthusiasm for Palin’s conservative credentials is a visceral sense that that she has come from them, not to them. Some right-wing evangelicals even believe she has messianic potential. As former Christian Broadcasting Network vice president Jim Bramlett wrote, “Sarah is that standard God has raised up to stop the flood. She has the anointing.
Fair Use Notice
This web site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance the understanding of humanity's problems and hopefully to help find solutions for those problems. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. A click on a hyperlink is a request for information. Consistent with this notice you are welcome to make 'fair use' of anything you find on this web site. However, if you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. You can read more about 'fair use' and US Copyright Law at the Legal Information Institute of Cornell Law School. This notice was modified from a similar notice at Information Clearing House.
- ► 2016 (135)
- ► 2015 (218)
- ► 2014 (207)
- ► 2013 (323)
- ► 2012 (187)
- ► 2011 (277)
- ► 2010 (375)
- ► 2009 (423)
- ADL Attacks USS Liberty Survivors
- Why should anyone who isn't a Wall Street insider ...
- Sarah Palin Gets Protection From Witches
- Wanted: Top Dog Alpha Male to run our Wall Street ...
- Saddam planned to deploy 'camels of mass destructi...
- "Dis is a stickup, give us ALL yer Money!"
- Is Treasury Secretary Paulson an incompetent buffo...
- An Open Letter from the Management of Wall Street ...
- Golddiggers Unite! If You Can’t Trust Another Gold...
- The Zionists Who Dictate White House Policy
- Rothschilds tell American to not vote for that "sc...
- Why the U.S. should always believe and trust Israe...
- White House Talking Point Memo to Glenn Beck, Rush...
- Lesson 101 for aspiring thieves, liars and con art...
- How Alaska almost became Israel
- Welcome to the Church of Palintology
- The Aryan Nation + an Obama Assassination=War with...
- '60 Minutes' Cut Ahmadinejad's Statement, 'Solutio...
- Does Sarah Palin, like Bush, hear voices in her he...
- "Jews are the pride of creation, the Goyim (Gentil...
- See how McCain got his nickname "McNasty" from his...
- 'Palin told AIPAC she wants stronger Israel ties'
- Paul McCartney to play at Tel Aviv Festival
- IDF arrests wanted head of Nazareth Terrorist Cell...
- FOX News puts 9/11 truthers in their place
- ▼ September (25)