Friday, April 17, 2009

18 FBI agents came barging through our front door, stormed up steps and awakened my kids

A REAL American patriot and hero, former DOJ attorney Thomas Tamm speaks out about illegal spying on Americans.

Yes, a real danger to our "democratic republic" that required 18 gun wielding FBI goons to bust in his house, wake up their kids and scare the hell out of his family. Gotta grab those Christmas card lists, no telling how many "al Qaeda" types were lurking behind "Merry Christmas" cards.

For the record, the Bush Administration gave the NSA the go-ahead to illegally spy on Americans in the USA back in February 2001.
On orders from Defense Department officials and President Bush, the agency kept a running list of the names of Americans in its system and made it readily available to a number of senior officials in the Bush administration, these sources said, which in essence meant the NSA was conducting a covert domestic surveillance operation in violation of the law.

Part of their 9/11 scheme to help out the real hijackers and protect and give them cover.

Mr. Tamm is still being hunted, trailed and harrased by FBI thugs, while one of the REAL 9/11 perps is enjoying a very nice retirement in his multi-million dollar Dallas home where's he protected 24/7 by SS agents and making millions and millions of dollars, giving speeches to defense contractors and friends of Israel.
This from a moron who couldn't even construct a coherent sentence.

From Amy Goodman's "Democracy Now."

Justice Dept. Whistleblower Defends Decision to Leak Bush Domestic Surveillance Program & Calls for Prosecution of Gov’t Officials and Telecoms
We speak with Thomas Tamm, the man who blew the whistle on the Bush administration’s secret domestic surveillance program. Tamm worked as an attorney at the Justice Department when he leaked the story to the New York Times in 2004. In 2007, the FBI raided his home and seized three computers and personal files. He still faces possible arrest for disclosing classified secrets.

AMY GOODMAN: The New York Times is reporting the National Security Agency has been intercepting private email messages and phone calls of Americans in recent months on a scale that went beyond the broad legal limits established by Congress last year.

The Times is also reporting the NSA attempted to wiretap a member of Congress, without court approval, on an overseas trip in 2005 or 2006. But the plan was ultimately blocked because of concerns from some intelligence officials about using the NSA to spy on a member of Congress.

Out first guest today is the whistleblower who originally tipped the Times off about the surveillance operation. His name is Thomas Tamm. In 2004, he called the New York Times from a subway payphone and told Eric Lichtblau about the existence of a secret domestic surveillance program. At the time, he was a Justice Department attorney in the Office of Intelligence Policy and Review.

The decision to become a whistleblower has permanently altered Thomas Tamm’s life. In 2007, the FBI raided his home, seized three computers and personal files. He’s suffered from depression and is in $30,000 debt. Late last year, Thomas Tamm risked arrest and admitted to Newsweek magazine that he was the one who tipped off the New York Times. Tamm still faces possible arrest for disclosing classified secrets.

THOMAS TAMM: Well, it actually was a fairly long process. In the criminal division, I had been over at the CIA, and I read cables that talked about extraordinary rendition and implicitly understood that people were being sent there for torture. And then I realized that the government was saying that we didn’t do that, and so I knew that my government was lying.

When I started working at—in front of the FISA court, there was this separate track of cases that—it just didn’t make any sense why they were treated differently than a normal FISA application. And I also started thinking about, well, how come the deputy attorney general, the second in command, was not able to hear those FISA applications or sign those FISA applications?

AMY GOODMAN: Explain your job at the Justice Department and how high your security clearance went, Thomas Tamm.

THOMAS TAMM: Well, I had a top-secret security clearance, and then it’s followed by SCI, which means secret compartmentalized information—I can’t say that word. I, along with a lot of attorneys, who are dedicated public servants and very bright, would review essentially applications for warrants to wiretap US citizens—US persons, as the statute defines it—who might be aligned with a foreign country or a foreign terrorist organization or any terrorist organization. And so, it’s the most highly secret part of the Department of Justice. You have to go through scanning and a fingerprint examination to get into the suite of offices.

AMY GOODMAN: And you come from a long line of public servants. Describe your growing up.

THOMAS TAMM: Well, I do. My father was an assistant director in the FBI. He was very proud of that organization, although after he retired I think he started to question some of the things that the Bureau started doing towards the later stages of J. Edgar Hoover’s career. But I remember going to the Department of Justice and being in J. Edgar Hoover’s office and watching the inaugural parade of JFK. And so, I grew up thinking that I wanted to be in law enforcement. And my brother, in fact, eventually joined the FBI and, towards the end of his career, worked on the 9/11 Commission. And my uncle, my father’s brother, was also in the FBI, and then he was a US federal circuit court judge here in the District of Columbia.

AMY GOODMAN: Thomas Tamm, talk about the repercussions of that moment you slipped into the subway to the phone booth and made that call to the New York Times. Tell us what happened to your family and at your home after that.

THOMAS TAMM: Well, I mean, it’s interesting. There’s kind of two different periods in my existence during that time. The time before August 1st in 2007, I was basically the only person besides the two reporters who knew what I had done. And I was always kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop. And I would occasionally get calls from the FBI agent asking to interview me, and I would try to postpone him. And really because I had this just—you know, disillusioned, I guess, with my government, and I was not really able to focus terribly well, I eventually kind of left the Department of Justice. In fact, I got out of OIPR because—largely because of what I believe was going on.

But I never anticipated that the FBI would execute a search warrant on my house. There wasn’t anything in my house. I don’t think they had any probable cause to believe that there was anything in my house that might reveal a crime of some sort. And, you know, my wife Claire, I don’t think will ever quite feel the same in our house. She feels less secure. I mean, eighteen FBI agents came barging through her front door and stormed up steps and awakened my kids in their beds and took Christmas card lists and computers and cell phones. And, you know, I remember my wife asking if we were going to be alright. And I said yes, but I really wasn’t sure about that.

And so, now, after the raid, I just figured at kind of any minute that I’m going to be indicted. I started—I was out of work for quite awhile after I left the Department of Justice, and I got to the point where I would see someone that looked like an undercover detective or FBI agent and think that, well, here it is, I’m going to be arrested, and I wonder what my bond is going to be set. And, you know, I don’t know that I handled it as well as maybe I wish I had been able to, but it’s been very difficult. And as you have mentioned, I still incur legal bills, because we have not been told whether they’re going to go forward or not. And I must say I think that’s a little bit surprising in light of the election and in light of the new administration...

No comments:

Fair Use Notice

This web site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance the understanding of humanity's problems and hopefully to help find solutions for those problems. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. A click on a hyperlink is a request for information. Consistent with this notice you are welcome to make 'fair use' of anything you find on this web site. However, if you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. You can read more about 'fair use' and US Copyright Law at the Legal Information Institute of Cornell Law School. This notice was modified from a similar notice at Information Clearing House.

Blog Archive