He was given nothing but small planes and ships-fishing boats, patrol boats, that kind of thing. He kept them circling around the edges of the Persian Gulf aimlessly, driving the Navy crazy trying to keep track of them. When the Admirals finally lost patience and ordered all planes and ships to leave, van Ripen had them all attack at once. And they sank two-thirds of the US fleet.
When kids play war, they end up spending less time shooting than arguing: "You're dead!" "Am not! You missed!" It just gets worse the bigger the kids. I remember a D & D'er crying when his character got killed -- wouldn't talk to the rest of us for years, still grieving for his dead elf.
The US military has been having exactly this kind of argument, played out in the world press, since last August. They're even whinier and more of a pain about it than D&Ders, if you can believe that, with leaks and counter-leaks, planted stories, and plenty of good ol' character assassination.
It all comes out of the "Millenium Challenge '02" war games we staged in the Persian Gulf this summer. The big scandal was that the Opposing Force Commander, Gen. Paul van Ripen, quit mid-game because the games were rigged for the US forces to win. The scenario was a US invasion of an unnamed Persian Gulf country (either Iraq or Iran). The US was testing a new hi-tech joint force doctrine, so naturally van Riper used every lo-tech trick he could think of to mess things up. When the Americans jammed his CCC network , he sent messages by motorbike.
The truth is that van Ripen did something so important that I still can't believe the mainstream press hasn't made anything of it. With nothing more than a few "small boats and aircraft," van Ripen managed to sink most of the US fleet in the Persian Gulf.
What this means is as simple and plain as a skull: every US Navy battle group, every one of those big fancy aircraft carriers we love, won't last one single day in combat against a serious enemy.
Fair Use Notice
This web site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance the understanding of humanity's problems and hopefully to help find solutions for those problems. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. A click on a hyperlink is a request for information. Consistent with this notice you are welcome to make 'fair use' of anything you find on this web site. However, if you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. You can read more about 'fair use' and US Copyright Law at the Legal Information Institute of Cornell Law School. This notice was modified from a similar notice at Information Clearing House.
- ► 2017 (296)
- ► 2016 (214)
- ► 2015 (218)
- ► 2014 (207)
- ► 2013 (323)
- ► 2012 (187)
- ► 2011 (277)
- ► 2010 (375)
- ADL, DHS & DOJ Form "Thought Criminal" Squad
- Palestinian Monitoring Group Report of One Day of ...
- How to cut your electric bill in half!
- CIA to Institute SPY programs on campus
- Occupation 101--U.S. Aid to Israel
- "Soooee, sooeee, calling all porkers" Congress jus...
- "Hollywood, we're missing a stereotype here"
- Remembering Rachel Corrie
- West Bank Land Thieves Attempting to blow up Al Aq...
- World's Leading Terrorist States in Danger of Coll...
- We Can't Let Peace Break Out!
- Israel to Close US Embassies
- Sentence reduced for Pentagon analyst who SPIED fo...
- The Nazis of Israel: Starving Palestine
- Is this why Americans are so damn apathetic and ig...
- The REAL American Patriots.. The OATH KEEPERS
- Special Forces Goon Squads to Target Afghan Civili...
- Paging Bin Laden, Paging Bin Laden
- "Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Vilifies a People."...
- Calling all Psychos to make "Aliyah"
- Dead in the Water - The Attack on the USS Liberty
- More vile "anti-Semites." The USS Liberty crew
- Journalist Receives Death Threat for Talking About...
- Roger Waters to Israel: Tear Down the Wall
- "Al Qaeda" Seeks Alliance with "Bubba"
- Goodbye Freedom of Speech, Hello Judeofascism
- Israel Brings the Dead Back to Life.. 9/11 Part II...
- Who Killed GM? GM and Wall Street
- Kim Jong-il Converts to Islam, Obama issues invasi...
- Meet your children's Masters... The Bilderberg Gro...
- U Sank My Carrier!
- ▼ June (31)
- ► 2008 (244)