Friday, March 8, 2013

Goodbye, Alvin Lee

Alvin Lee, the leader and blazing fast blues guitarist with the 1970's band "Ten Years After" has cashed in his chips.

Alvin was one of the best blues-rock guitar slingers. It was always a joy to listen to his fret work.

If you want a good sampling of Alvin Lee and TYA, the album "Rock and Roll Music to the World" is a good place to start. Both of the following songs are from that work.

Here's one of my favorite Alvin Lee and Ten Years After song, "Religion." Short, beautiful and very evocative. In other words, no Bullshit.

I never really understood religion
Except it seems a good excuse to kill
I never really could make a decision
I don't suppose I ever really will
I can't relate to any power structure
Where ego is the driving energy
I let mine go long, long time ago, now
When I decided that I would be free
Only thing I understand is living
The biggest sacrifice to make is death
Once you're dead, there's nothing left for giving
The life means fighting your every breath

One good song deserves another!

Ten Years After - Turned Off T V Blues


Jody Paulson said...

I really enjoyed that song, "Religion," Greg -- I've never heard it before (slightly before my time). Thanks.

Greg Bacon said...

Jody, if you liked "Religion," yoo ought to listen to the whole record.

Before your time? Aarrrgh! Am I showing me age?

Fair Use Notice

This web site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance the understanding of humanity's problems and hopefully to help find solutions for those problems. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. A click on a hyperlink is a request for information. Consistent with this notice you are welcome to make 'fair use' of anything you find on this web site. However, if you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. You can read more about 'fair use' and US Copyright Law at the Legal Information Institute of Cornell Law School. This notice was modified from a similar notice at Information Clearing House.

Blog Archive