Monday, October 12, 2009

"Let them Eat Cake!"

....was what the haughty and high living wife of French King Louis 16 replied when told her subjects didn't have enough bread to eat.

The French finally got tired of seeing their families starve and living on the streets, having the King's private armies beat up, imprison and torture to death their relatives and watching their civil liberties being banished.

They rose up and gave Marie and the King a VERY close shave and haircut.

America, are you tired of seeing your family not have enough to eat, due to you losing your job to Wall Street gangsters?

Are you sick of seeing your civil liberties get shredded and watching peaceful protesters get clubbed, tazed, gassed and tossed in jail?

Have you seen enough of your family, relatives and friends die or get horribly maimed fighting these never ending "Wars for Wall Street and Israel?"

Are you ready to do something to regain your dignity or do you wish to wait a little longer and starve some more?

Bill Moyers: Was the Financial Bailout Just a Slick, Friendly Takeover of the Federal Government?


The following is excerpted from the transcript of Bill Moyers' interview with Dem Rep. Marcy Kaptur and former head of the IMFSimon Johnson from PBS's Bill Moyers Journal.

Bill Moyers: I sat in a theater packed with passionate moviegoers, every one of them seemingly aghast at the Wall Street skullduggery exposed by Michael Moore in his latest film. It's called 'Capitalism: A Love Story.' Here's an excerpt:

Michael Moore: We're here to get the money back for the American People. Do you think it's too harsh to call what has happened here a coup d'etat? A financial coup d'etat?

Marcy Kaptur: That's, no. Because I think that's what's happened. Um, a financial coup d'etat?

Moore: Yeah.

Kaptur: I could agree with that. I could agree with that. Because the people here really aren't in charge. Wall Street is in charge.

Kaptur: Let me give you a reality from ground zero in Toledo, Ohio. Our foreclosures have gone up 94 percent. A few months ago, I met with our realtors. And I said, 'What should I know?' They said, 'Well, first of all, you should know the worst companies that are doing this to us.'

Kaptur: I said, 'Well, give me the top one.' They said, 'J.P. Morgan Chase.' I went back to Washington that night. And one of my colleagues said, 'You want to come to dinner?' I said, 'Well, what is it?' He said, 'Well, it's a meeting with Jamie Dimon, the head of J.P. Morgan Chase.' I said, 'Wow, yes. I really do.' So, I go to this meeting in a fancy hotel, fancy dinner, and everyone is complimenting him. I mean, it was just like a love fest.

Kaptur: They finally got to me, and my point to ask a question. I said, 'Well, I don't want to speak out of turn here, Mr. Dimon.' I said, 'But your company is the largest forecloser in my district. And our Realtors just said to me this morning that your people don't return phone calls.' I said, 'We can't do work outs.' And he looked at me, he said, 'Do you know that I talk to your Governor all the time?' He said, 'Our company employs 10,000 people in Ohio.'

Kaptur: And I'm thinking, 'What is that? A threat?' And he said, 'I speak to the Mayor of Columbus.' I said, 'Why don't you come further north?' I said, 'Toledo, Cleveland, where the foreclosures are just skyrocketing.' He said, 'Well, we'll have someone call you.' And he gave me a card. And they never did. For two weeks, we tried to reach them. And finally, I was on a national news show. And I told this story. They called within ten minutes. And they said, 'Oh, we'll work with you. We'll try to do some workouts in your area.'...


Johnson: Because they think that the next time they won't even have to ask. They'll just be given the bailout that they want.

Kaptur: Right. That's been their history. Their bed is feathered. When they messed up during the 1980s, they put their bill through the savings and loans crisis on the American people. $140 billion.

Moyers: And we're still paying that off, by the way. I think the last payment will be made in 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fair Use Notice

This web site may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance the understanding of humanity's problems and hopefully to help find solutions for those problems. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. A click on a hyperlink is a request for information. Consistent with this notice you are welcome to make 'fair use' of anything you find on this web site. However, if you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner. You can read more about 'fair use' and US Copyright Law at the Legal Information Institute of Cornell Law School. This notice was modified from a similar notice at Information Clearing House.

Blog Archive